Introverted Girl

Since she felt the urge to smile, she followed the primary rule of her existence and did not do it.
--Princess Melanthe, For My Lady's Heart by Laura Kinsale.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Reins of the Netherwing Drake

My main now has a Netherwing Drake. The Netherwing has an awesome roar when a character first mounts. It also glows and has this mystical smoke that rises around it. I love it so much.

It took me around two weeks but it was so worth it. I chose the violet drake as my character's reward, but I couldn't resist and bought her the others as well. When I level up my priestess I know I'm going to want her to have this mount, too, but I'm sure she'll pick either onyx or azure. Or all of them, hee. Here's how I got mine:

First, I read and referred back to these sights OFTEN-

WoWhead, in the comments section there are a lot of player tips and links to each specific quest.

By far the most helpful site was WoW-Pro. Super easy to follow guide, even though I didn't do every single daily this will show them all, in order and by day, to give you the fastest way to complete this rep grind.

Note that it was written back when only 10 daily quests were allowed per day; now 25 daily quests can be done a day. Also note, you don't pay for the first Netherwing Drake, one is given to your character as a quest reward (your character speaks to whichever Netherwing he/she wants to keep, so choose carefully). You can buy the other mounts for 200g each (six mounts altogether, including the free one) but you'll have to fly from Shattrath back to Shadowmoon to do it (the vendor is in Shadowmoon).

Netherwing Eggs

Each one is worth what an average daily quest is worth: 250 rep. They spawn on the ground, on the tops of crystals and on hills, although finding them was tough because everyone seemed to be grinding for rep when I was on. I've heard logging on at night helps. Even with all the other grinders I managed to find around two a day and then I looted another two a day, usually. Here's a site with some of their spawn locations:

Netherwing Egg Locations

The eggs are also rare drops from killing anything on the island, and they also rarely drop from herbs and ore veins, (only for herbalist or miners). Because of this, I killed everything and gathered every herb in my path. About half of the eggs I found were from looting or herb gathering. The other half came from the towers in Dragonmaw Camp (mainland), the mine, and very rarely anywhere else.

Getting the Drake

Basically, it's a reputation grind. Going from Hated to Neutral happens instantly when the starting quest chain is completed. The quest chain begins with Kindness given out by a Scryer named Mordenai wandering around Netherwing Fields. There are nine quests in the Kindness chain and they're fun and have a good story.

I completed them up until Zuluhead the Whacked at level 76... I just couldn't solo him even with a gorilla, traps and a lot of trying. I came close, but finally gave up and returned at level 80. I finished Zuluhead off easy-peasy and started my dailies.

Looking back, the dailies in the mine would have been a hassle at 76 because everything aggros so easily as it is. At level 80 in Cata greens the Mine Flayers were all one-shot kills with Chimera and even Arcane Shot almost always brought them down. It was fun zipping along killing everything in sight, but I suspect at 76 I'd have been in a world of frustration.


Gathering Crystals, Herbs (Pollen), Ore and Hide

Like I said, I killed everything in sight and gathered all the herbs I could find, and usually had two rare drops a day (it took me around an hour and a half to two hours to complete all my dailies doing this). Because of this, I had a LOT of extra crystals and pollen than the dailies required. The crystals stack to 250, so I dumped the rest to save bag space. The herbs aren't soulbound so I mailed off the extras to an alt and then mailed 40 back to myself every morning so I could start the day with the gathering quests completed.


Don't Skip This One

The quest called Overseeing and You: Making the Right Choices is very annoying. If you're not a skinner you'll have to pay for knothide leather, and it isn't cheap on AH. And no matter what, you'll have to fly out of Shadowmoon and all the way to Netherstorm to the very northernmost dome to find and kill the (easy) tyrannosaurus who drops the hide you need (this isn't a skinnable hide, so you can't just buy it on AH). This is all worth it, though. It opens up an easy daily that's kinda fun and gives 350 rep- The Booterang: A Cure for the Common Worthless Peon.

Quests I Skipped

I'm sure others could reach exalted with Netherwing faster than I did, but I skipped the quest chain Building a Soul Canon because buying the materials on AH was way pricey! I also only did the first two quests in Earning Your Wings because I suck at this kind of precision flying. By then I had a good egg-finding system and enough dailies going on that I felt my rep was moving up fast enough without frustrating myself over failing at flying. If you finish all six flying quests though, the final one gives 1000 rep; each of the earlier ones gives 500 rep, so they're worth trying.

My Favorite

When you reach revered a quest called The Deadliest Trap Ever Laid opens up. So easy, and 500 rep each time. It's a 3-man quest in case you do this at the right level instead of four levels above like I did. I don't know how you could kill the flying Dragonmaw without a ranged weapon, though.

Finishing Up and Buying Additional Drakes

When you reach exalted a quest takes you to Shattrath where you're rewarded with a Netherwing Drake of your choosing. You're also capped to 999 exalted points. The Dragonmaw Orc disguise still automatically works on the island back in Shadowmoon, so if you have the gold and want another drake (or another five drakes...) fly back, speak to the NPC near the landing strip and buy the others for 200 gold.

And that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment