Introverted Girl

Since she felt the urge to smile, she followed the primary rule of her existence and did not do it.
--Princess Melanthe, For My Lady's Heart by Laura Kinsale.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

I'm There

The reality of another day
I seek my numbing agents
Treasured tricks begotten in youth
With them I am untouchable
I maneuver past emotions
I subdue what lies 
beyond my control

Night falls
Once it was my veiled fortress
Even here I reach for my numbing agents
in the darkness that is now,
like the day,
an enemy

And always, the gears of another day 
propel me forward
I'm a disengaged participant
I make feeble attempts to leave
I make feeble attempts to stay
There is no safe haven in this world
Least of all, within myself

Another day
and yet another
And each time
I apply more numbing agent
In whatever form I can find
There, in the words of others
There, in the worlds of others
and always there
in the shallow affection
and empty comfort
of all the Others
who believe me
when I say I'm there

No comments:

Post a Comment