Introverted Girl

Since she felt the urge to smile, she followed the primary rule of her existence and did not do it.
--Princess Melanthe, For My Lady's Heart by Laura Kinsale.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

An Offer (Let Me Be)

I can't always smile
I can't always be cheerful
I can't always be charming and sweet
I can't

Let me be morose
Let me be wicked
Let me be moody
Let me be

and if you do
I will also be charming and sweet in turns
I will be cheerful and I will smile for you in earnest
I will offer you silliness to temper your somber moods
I will offer you teasing when you feel wicked
And if you need it,
I will offer you a soft hand against the harshness of your sorrow
A gentle touch in the midst of this long and arduous life
But first
Please
let me be me

No comments:

Post a Comment