Introverted Girl

Since she felt the urge to smile, she followed the primary rule of her existence and did not do it.
--Princess Melanthe, For My Lady's Heart by Laura Kinsale.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Heart versus Brain

Sometimes my brain thinks:

There is no bright side or dark side to life. We're all simply organisms surviving from one day to the next until we die. 

But my heart rebels!

There are so many beautiful things in this world. So many emotions, so much joy. Can it all really be so meaningless? It can't be!

So I have this internal struggle that goes on inside me. I never come to a resolution on it. Basically, my heart and brain are in constant conflict. It's confusing. I don't know who to believe, or if they're both full of crap.

Brain! Did you see how radical that person is? I love that person so much!
No. Love is an illusion that helps us form advantageous attachments. Those attachments provide benefits in the form of shared resources. I approve of the attachment you're forming, and will help solidify it.

No way. Don't start with your "love is an illusion" crap. I love my family and friends. I miss them when they're gone, I don't want them to be hurt. Those feelings are real.
The attachment response is beneficial for a variety of reasons, including protection from those who would cause us harm and also, the potential for help in solving problems. Whether this is labeled "love" is not relevant.

So then, love isn't an illusion, jerk-brain! Whether I label it "love" or not, the feelings are still real.
The illusion comes in thinking that attachment to a specific person matters. The reality is, it doesn't.

You're such a pain in my arse. Of course it matters who I love. I love X-person and not Y-person. There's a reason for that. X-person means more to me. I love that person!
No. You've convinced yourself that X-person has more significance than anyone else. X-person might offer you more resources-- intellectual stimulation, an allied response when confronted with an enemy, the potential for support in times of hardship-- there are a variety of reasons X-person has generated a stronger attachment response, but there are other people who could offer you those same things. You could find someone else to form a deep attachment to, or you could choose to have a wide base of people who offer you similar benefits superficially and across a variety of spectrums. Ultimately, X-person doesn't matter any more than any other person in your life. Convincing yourself otherwise doesn't change that.

I'm not listening.
...


I hate you. Fine. What about "falling in love," romance and all of that?
Romantic love is the biggest illusion of all. It's a biological mechanism to ensure survival of the species.

You suck. I'm an emotional mess now. Thanks a lot, jerk-brain. 
...


You never answer me when I have an outburst! It just seems like you're wrong. People do so much for love. Love makes people happy.
Again, the species is hard-wired to form beneficial attachments. There is truth in the phrase "strength in numbers."

You're making me so freaking mad! I don't care what you say. It hurts when someone I love doesn't want my love. It hurts. People talk about being hurt by the people they love all the time. That's real. Plus, if it's all about your dumb "forming beneficial attachments" mumbo-jumbo, why do people love the wrong person, or love someone who isn't good for them?
Forming attachments is an investment of time and energy, and it's easier to maintain existing attachments than create new ones. This is why there is a pain response when someone we've invested time and energy in is no longer available. As for forming attachments with the wrong person or with people who negatively impact you, that comes from allowing the illusion of love to cloud your judgment. By remembering that love is not real, you'll avoid those problems.

You make me want to stop beating. What's the point?
There is no point.

Die in a fire. I hate you.
That statement is irrational. If I ceased to exist, you would cease to exist. We need each other.

Shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment